Monday, April 6, 2009

A cold, snowy, not-April-like Monday

For several weeks now as we drive into work and daycare in the morning, we haven't been listening to anything but music. Today I thought we should get back into our daily intellectual-rigor assignment so I put on CD#5 from the Anticancer book; we listen and then talk about what we understand and think.

It didn't take long for me to realize that Bob was paying attention to everything but our book. Geeze! I mean this is just part of the doctor's orders! I stopped the CD a couple of times to help him refocus.

I felt myself growing increasingly tense and irritated. I felt myself blaming him for not trying. I didn't say anything out loud, but I heard my curtness. Surely he could. Funny thing is that the narrator was talking about stress and negative attitudes creating fertile soil for the seeds of disease to grow and develop. Damn it!
Bob should listen to this!! If he would just try ...

We pulled up in front of the Family Center, and he struggled to gather his things; "Be careful, sweetie," he said as he got out of the car. He always worries about me.


Only now, as I sit here in Walgreen's parking lot writing this, distressed at my own impatience and annoyance, do I look up and see that he was distracted by the snow, the beauty of the big white flakes falling silently onto a spring budded world.
I had been driving and doing business; he had been looking and experiencing the day. I had closed my eyes to one big D, Distraction, in the form of beauty and peace.

And a child shall lead them ...

3 comments:

  1. What a nice post. What a wonderful lesson. Live in the moment, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're my friend. There are lots of people in this world who would never have figured out why Bob was distracted.

    ReplyDelete