Thursday, January 15, 2009

A new caregiver

This morning as I was trying to help Bob get his socks on, Mickey Mouse socks no less, his toenails were too long and I snagged one, hurt him, and he yelped like a bear in pain.
What annoys me at these times is that his reaction is always as if I intentionally hurt him. Then he needs long lectures (which I can NOT interrupt) to explain what happened, as if I didn't know.
Today in his annoyance with my complete withdrawal, he asked me totally calmly, "I don't want to hurt your feelings, but wouldn't you be happier if we found someone else to take care of me and you went on your way?"
Could we have bets on my reply? Actually, I asked him who he would suggest.
He's currently sitting there; I suspect he's considering an answer.
This isn't just for laughs.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness. This breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too. You are stronger than anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete