Thursday, September 22, 2011

Me again

I've been gone. Life has been crazy. My father is failing now too. The two most important men in my life decline and I am fortunate to have my family and my job. For now I will only share my oldest daughter's Facebook post from yesterday, World Alzheimer's Awareness Day.

Today is Alzheimer's Awareness Day. My dad was diagnosed with early-onset AD at age 59; now, at 67, he is living in a nursing home. When I visit I can never tell for sure whether he recognizes me (although somehow he always knows Lily!), and his brain is losing the ability to control his body's systems. It's a horrific thing that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It's too late for my dad, but there is real progress happening and real hope for a cure.
Please consider a donation to the Alzheimer's Association to support their research, or give specifically to the St. Louis Chapter, which is one of the best in the country and which became a second family for my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment